Cinque terre Fast Facts
- Nativity scene (winter)
- Portofino (Santa Margherita Ligure)
Regional Food & Drink
- Limoncelllo - aka Limoncino
- Cinque Terre Wine - white wine
- Sciacchetrà - sweet dessert wine
- Focaccia Bread
- Farinata - similar to pizza made with chickpeas
- Tortellini in walnut sauce
Cinque Terre Card
- A card that must be bought if you want to hike any part of the coastal trails. If you plan to only take the train between towns, then you do not need the card. Also when blue trails connecting the towns are closed (often winter or early spring due to flooding) the card is not required.
- Allows entrance to the trails and unlimited use of the buses in each town. Note: buses do not go between towns. For an additional fee you can add on unlimited use of the local regional trains between La Spezia and Levanto. Also includes free entry to some museums and free use of wi-fi spots in Cinque Terre Park
- Small huts are located at the beginning of the blue path where you must either show or purchase your Cinque Terre card.
- The price of the card changes depending on how many coastal trails are open.
- The card can be purchased at tourist information centers, any train station in Cinque Terre, and a few outlying town train stations like La Spezia and Levanto. They are also available at the beginning of all open sections of the blue path.
- The card is valid from the moment of validation until midnight that same day. When using the card for the first time on the train, be sure to punch the card before boarding.
- Hiking boots with ankle support and good traction
- Long pants
- Waterproof jacket with hood
- Trekking poles for added stability
- Plenty of water
- Trail map